Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Shipwreck Shawl 2: the Rivendell Edition

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. " - "The Lord of the Rings," J.R.R. Tolkien

This is one of the top-secret projects that has been in the under-cover needles-n'-yarn bag of late. I made a second Shipwreck shawl for my aunt, but aside from the design and name, there is very little about this shawl that is nautical.

I used the "Eidos" yarn from the Verdant Gryphon in the colorway "Apollodorus." It's a beautiful, muted blend of browns, blues and greens.

click on the photos to enlarge them

I used gold-colored glass seed beads on the net section.


The gold beads on the woodland-colored yarn makes me think of Elf lights in the middle of a forest. Hence the Lord of the Rings theme to this post.


I only knitted one set of leaves in the "Madeira" section instead of two like the original pattern outlines. I think it adds well to the Elfin theme.

the shawl, under construction

I love this shawl, and it goes very well with my aunt's coloring. She loves it too, and hopes to hand it down to her children eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment