Friday, April 6, 2012

Hot Cross Buns

"But that Christ on this Cross, did rise and fall, sin had eternally benighted all." - John Donne

Hot Cross Buns are a popular Easter staple. According to Christian tradition, they are to be made and eaten hot on Good Friday.

buns, baked

This year, we're keeping the buns to serve with Easter dinner, but I did make them on Good Friday. I used this recipe as linked in my previous post.

After mixing all the ingredients, I kneaded the raisins into the dough.

dough, before rising

Once kneaded, I let the dough rise for 1 1/2 hours.

dough, after rising

After the first rise, I cut the dough into pieces, rolled them into balls and placed them in the greased pan...

buns in the pan, unbaked

...and placed them in the oven to bake.

I did put crosses on them, but they dripped off and did not show up well. Maybe putting some cornstarch into the sugar-and-juice mixture would help them stay in place.

A blessed Good Friday to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment