Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chicken, Brie and Caramelized Onions

"The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." - G.K. Chesterton

Dinner tonight was a stroke of genius - this is going to become a go-to menu for my house:
  • Chicken stuffed with Brie and Caramelized Onions
  • Fried Apples
  • Green Salad with Golden Italian dressing

I've been wanting to make this chicken for a while, and my mom suggested the fried apples (pure brilliance on her part). I can't get over how good it all was - everything from the apples to the salad dressing to the Brie was a triumphant success.

The recipe for the chicken can be found here. However, there were some problems with the cooking instructions.

First, I made the onion mixture:



...then I mixed in cubes of Brie cheese once the onions had cooled. Next, I cut slits in the chicken breasts to make pockets, but (the first problem) stuffing these with the cheese and onions mixture proved sloppy, so I secured the openings with toothpicks:


Then I cooked the chicken in a skillet:



They cooked all over pretty thoroughly, except around the opening where the stuffing went in (second problem). I recommend taking the breasts out of the pan as the instructions say to do and make the sauce, BUT, after adding the broth and before allowing the sauce to reduce, put the chickens in another skillet with a little olive oil and between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of the sauce (or make the sauce in a separate pot), bring to a boil, cover with a lid and cook for about 3 minutes, or until all the pinkness is gone. If you follow this method, make sure the sauce does not cover the opening for the stuffing, as the cheese will run out if cooked in liquid.

As for the fried apples, you can't go wrong with this recipe. If you've ever visited a Cracker Barrel restaurant, this one attempts to replicate their famous fried apples. Be careful not to let them burn.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment