Friday, March 9, 2012

Three Cheers for the Irish Stew

"Of all the money that e'er I spent, I spent it in good company; and all the harm that e'er I did, alas it was to none but me. And all I've done for want of wit, to memory now I can't recall; so fill to me the parting glass, good night and joy be with you all." - "The Parting Glass"

It's that time of year once again, when Irish folks wear green and become insufferable. The rest of the year, we're just insufferable (and only wear green occasionally). So, I will discuss a few very Irish pastimes: knitting, stew, and Guinness.

I recently discovered a beautiful knitting pattern for a Celtic Knot Stole:

image credit: maerchen

The pattern can be found through the Ravelry website. My mother wants me to use the dimensions and lace edging from this pattern to make her a shawl, but with little triangular, beaded eyelets all over it instead of the Celtic knot design (she's not Irish, so I'll forgive her).


Irish stew isn't Irish stew without Guinness. This hearty, dark stout is rich with minerals and other great stuff (the original ads used to exclaim 'Guinness is good for you!'), and is a wonderful addition to stew as well as breads:
  • Here is a straightforward recipe for Irish Guinness Stew
  • This is a simple recipe for a rich, hearty bread with Guinness included
  • This is a more complicated, authentic Guinness bread recipe.

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment