Monday, February 6, 2012

A Gathering of Saffron

"An orchard of pomegranates with all choicest fruits, henna with nard, nard with saffron...with all choice spices - a garden fountain, a well of living water, and flowing streams from Lebanon." - Solomon 4:13-15 ESV

Crocus Sativus, the Saffron Crocus

About four years ago, when I traveled through Greece on a summer study abroad trip, I bought a small box of Greek red saffron, which I fully intended to use once back home. Four years later, I've used my little stash maybe once since acquiring it. So, I've started looking up saffron recipes to try this year. Here are a few which I hope to make soon:


Saffron is the stigma of the Crocus Sativus that is gathered, dried, crushed and used in everything from meals to dyes to medicine. Real Saffron gives off a taste like honey. If you can get your hands on the real thing without busting the bank, it's well worth the price.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment