Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Just Yarning Around

"Well begun is half done" - Aristotle



Of late, I have not been posting very much about knitting. This is because my well-oiled "knitting machine" has become clogged and is moving very slowly. At last count, I currently have 5 knitting projects underway, with at least 2 or 3 waiting to begin, and a whole slew of others whirling around in the back of my head. So, I'm going to write a brief rundown of what I'm working on at present.

First, and most important of all is the christening gown I'm making for a dear college friend who is expecting at the end of summer.  While I'm working away at it and am definitely making progress, it's not at a point where it's worthy of a new post. Right now, I'm racing to meet or beat my friend's due date (somewhere around the end of August/beginning of September).

Next on my list is a self-designed, buttoned neck warmer with a Celtic knot cable pattern. Seeing as I'm making it up as I go, I don't have a set pattern or pictures to show, but I will do a post on it when it's done. I'm making it on commission (meaning I'll actually get paid for it) for my mom's regular hairdresser, who has to wear all-black to work, and wants a scarf of some kind to break it up a little. It's in dark teal, with smooth, black round buttons. 

Also on my list is the first of a set of knitted place mats I'm making for myself, to use in my own home one day. I'm aiming to make at least 8 of them. They are yellow, with a crocheted edge in blue and red. The knitted portion is very tightly woven, and my hands get tired after knitting several rows, but it's coming out nicely. The pattern can be found in this book.

I do have other projects I'm working on, but I don't want to show and tell about everything up front. So, here are a few patterns I want to make, after I get a few more projects finished:
  • Baby "Sasquatch" Booties I plan on making these very soon. Even if I don't find an expectant mother to give them to (and right now there seem to be a lot of expectant mothers about), I can always list them on eBay...
  • This shawl. See my previous post about it. I'm utterly enraptured and can't wait...
  • A wrap-around sweater-coat from this book. I've never done a sweater before, but I don't want to start one until most of my important projects are finished.  
Happy Yarning! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment