If you've ever been to a Max and Erma's restaurant, chances are you've had this soup. This version gets very close to the original.
Makes: 8 servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz. velveeta cheese
- 10 oz. Ro*Tel tomatoes and chilies
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup chopped, sauteed onion
- 1 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese
- Optional: flour tortillas (about 5), Vegetable or Peanut oil for frying
Note: to complete this soup, you can either a) make homemade fried tortilla strips, or b) buy Frito's corn chips as a substitute, although the homemade tortilla strips are just better. (I used Frito's in the picture above)
To make the tortilla strips: cut the tortillas into strips and deep fry until golden in oil that is 350 degrees hot. Drain on paper towels. Ladle the soup into a bowl, top with shredded cheese, ladle on more soup and top with fried tortilla strips.
Enjoy, and stay warm this winter!